This update is intended to provide you with the most up to date information we have at this time regarding the upcoming school closure. Communication will be sent out as needed during the school closure as more information becomes available.
Below you will find information regarding the closure, ways your child can stay active in learning, the status of planned events and activities, as well as how you can access community resources as needed.
Please feel free at any time during the closure to reach out with questions or ways we can help you get any support that might be needed. Regular newsletters will resume once the time nears to return to school.
Covid-19 (Coronavirus) School Closure Information
Last night Governor Whitmer ordered the closing of schools in Michigan. We will close beginning Monday, March 16, 2020. School will resume after spring break on Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
The CDC recommends the following precautionary measures to reduce the risk of contracting the virus:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash you hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
Our district will keep the website up to date with the latest information.
Wayne County Hotline
Wayne County has an informational hotline to answer individual questions and concerns regarding COVID-19. The phone number is 734-287-7870
At-Home Suggestions for the School Closure
While on this break from school, we have some suggestions that will make the time at home with your student a bit easier and will help the transition when we return to school next month.
- Encourage your child to read twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes before bed. Find books that are relative to their interest and their grade level. Consider checking out books electronically through our public library to read on your device. Westland Library Link
- Limit phone use during the day. Students are not on their phone during the school day, so do your best to restrict phone access while we have this time off from school. This also means monitoring their use of social media.
- Do your best to monitor your child’s media exposure. With the current events that are going on right now, some of the information may be too complex for children to understand and may cause some anxiety for children. Discuss what is going on in age appropriate terms, answer questions, but do not overwhelm your child with information.
- There are many online resources available to parents and teachers during this school shut down. Please look at the link for access to many online resources to help assist with the educational process during this time. Online Resources
- For those families who do not have internet access in their home, Comcast is providing internet essentials for those in need. Please check their website for more information. Comcast Internet Essentials
- Your child can access Compass Learning from home to continue working at his or her math and reading level. Your child should be able to log-in, but if not, here is a link on how to log-in.
Please follow the link below to find the nearest food pantry if needed during the shutdown.
Hungry Howie’s Fundraiser – Extended
We are selling Hungry Howie’s Pizza certificates. For every certificate sold, the school will get $4.00! Only cash or money order will be accepted. All orders must be turned in upon return to school. Certificates will be delivered as soon as possible once the order is placed.
Battle of the Books Postponed!
Students are bringing home books during the closure to read to prepare for this! The battle will be held in April once we return. More details will be sent home after school re-opens.